Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The indians used fish to grow corn. Can anyone explain how to do this and why it works? Would it work on other

plants?The indians used fish to grow corn. Can anyone explain how to do this and why it works? Would it work on other
My cousin teaches science and one of her classes field trips is always my Indian garden called the three sisters. Corn, runner beans and squash (pumpkin). I mound soil a foot deep and three feet across over several trash fish. Then I sow four corn plants, four runner beans and a squash on top of each mound. I also do several without the fish and several using compost and fertilizer. The results are amazing and the kids are amazed how the plant roots seek out the fish and reduce it to bones. This year I plan to add Amaranth to the group for four sisters. RScottThe indians used fish to grow corn. Can anyone explain how to do this and why it works? Would it work on other
Hey Chola,





My neighbors are Vietnamese, and they use all the fish left overs (guts). They eat most of the fish. This practice works great. Be sure to put the fish under enough dirt, so that the critters don't smell it, and so that the roots are not in direct contact.





If you get critters digging, this could be the reason (after you do it).
Unless you have a ready supply of fish, it is a lot simplier to use a fish emulsion fertilizer that you can buy at any nursery or home center.
When I was a youngster, my dad and I would catch trash fish like carp, take them home and bury them where the veggies were to be planted. Made our veggie garden the talk of the town.
If you are looking for same effect as using real fish use organic fish fertilizer.


I use Neptune's Harvest....it's fish/seaweed concentrate fertilizer. I got it at local greenhouse and you can use it on other vegetables. Also I just found a generic version of Neptune's Harvest at our Walmart. You can get smaller bottle of fish fertilizer there for about $5.


Very good stuff without messiness of using real fish.
i think your talking about they put the fish in with the corn seed as today they use fish oil as a fertilizer and it works great it is the kind i buy so they used it with the corn seed they planted fish in the ground with the seed.
They used it as fertilizer. Fish is still used as fertilizer today, as you can sometimes tell by driving by fields that have just been fertilized! And yes, you can use it for many other crops.
  • hair tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    viruses